Types of Sentences in English Grammar
In English grammar, sentences are mainly classified in two ways:
- According to their purpose/function – what the sentence does.
- According to their structure – how the sentence is formed.
I. Types of Sentences According to Purpose
There are four main types:
1. Assertive Sentence
An assertive sentence (also called a declarative sentence) makes a statement or gives information. It may express a fact, opinion, idea, or belief.
It usually ends with a full stop (.)
Examples
- The earth revolves around the sun.
- She is a brilliant student.
- I enjoy reading novels.
- Delhi is the capital of India.
Two forms of assertive sentences
Affirmative: It states something positively.
- She is happy.
- He works hard.
Negative: It states something negatively.
- She is not happy.
- He does not work hard.
Key point
Assertive = Statement
II. Interrogative Sentence
An interrogative sentence asks a question. It normally ends with a question mark (?)
Examples
- What is your name?
- Where do you live?
- Are you ready?
- Did she complete her homework?
Types of interrogative sentences
A. Yes/No Questions
These questions can generally be answered with yes or no.
- Are you a teacher?
- Is he at home?
- Did you watch the film?
B. Wh-Questions
These begin with words such as:
What, Who, Whom, Whose, Which, When, Where, Why, How
Examples:
- What are you doing?
- Where do you live?
- Why are you late?
- How did you solve the problem?
C. Alternative Questions
These offer two or more choices.
- Would you like tea or coffee?
- Are you going by bus or train?
Key point
Interrogative = Question
III. Imperative Sentence
An imperative sentence expresses a command, order, request, advice, instruction, invitation, or prohibition.
The subject is usually you, but it is generally understood rather than written.
Examples
Command/Order
- Open the door.
- Stand up.
- Come here.
Request
- Please help me.
- Please lend me your pen.
Advice
- Work hard.
- Take care of your health.
Instruction
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Turn left at the next crossing.
Prohibition
- Do not make noise.
- Never tell a lie.
Important point
The subject is usually understood as you.
For example:
Open the door.
Actually means: You open the door.
But we normally do not write you.
Key point
Imperative = Command/Request/Advice/Instruction
IV. Exclamatory Sentence
An exclamatory sentence expresses strong or sudden emotion such as:
- joy
- surprise
- sorrow
- anger
- admiration
- excitement
It usually ends with an exclamation mark (!)
Examples
- What a beautiful flower!
- How beautiful the garden is!
- What a wonderful performance!
- Alas! We lost the match.
- Hurrah! We have won the competition.
Exclamatory words
Common words include:
Oh!, Ah!, Alas!, Hurrah!, Bravo!, What!, How!
Key point
Exclamatory = Strong emotion
Quick Comparison
| Type | Main function | Punctuation | Example |
|---|---|---|---|
| Assertive | Makes a statement | . | She is intelligent. |
| Interrogative | Asks a question | ? | Is she intelligent? |
| Imperative | Gives command/request/advice | . / ! | Work hard. |
| Exclamatory | Expresses strong emotion | ! | What an intelligent girl! |
II. Types of Sentences According to Structure
This classification is very important for school grammar, competitive exams, and teaching interviews.
There are four types:
- Simple Sentence
- Compound Sentence
- Complex Sentence
- Compound-Complex Sentence
The main thing we consider here is the number and type of clauses.
1. Simple Sentence
A simple sentence contains one independent clause.
An independent clause has a subject and a finite verb and expresses a complete thought.
Examples
- Ravi plays cricket.
- The children are playing.
- She reads books.
- My brother went to Delhi.
Each has only one independent clause.
Important
A simple sentence can be long and can contain phrases, objects, adjectives, and adverbs.
For example:
The intelligent boy in the blue shirt won the competition yesterday.
It is still a simple sentence because it contains only one independent clause.
Formula
One independent clause
2. Compound Sentence
A compound sentence contains two or more independent clauses joined together.
They are commonly joined by coordinating conjunctions.
The most important coordinating conjunctions can be remembered as:
FANBOYS
- F – For
- A – And
- N – Nor
- B – But
- O – Or
- Y – Yet
- S – So
Examples
I wanted to go, but it was raining.
Independent clause 1:
I wanted to go.
Independent clause 2:
It was raining.
They are joined by but.
Another example:
She worked hard, so she passed the examination.
Clause 1: She worked hard.
Clause 2: She passed the examination.
Formula
Independent clause + coordinating conjunction + independent clause
3. Complex Sentence
A complex sentence contains:
- one independent (main) clause, and
- at least one dependent (subordinate) clause.
A dependent clause cannot normally stand alone as a complete sentence.
Example
I stayed at home because it was raining.
Main clause:
I stayed at home.
Subordinate clause:
because it was raining
The second clause depends on the main clause for its complete meaning.
Common subordinating conjunctions
because, although, if, when, while, before, after, since, unless, until, though, whereas, as
Examples
- When the teacher arrived, the students became quiet.
- I will call you when I reach home.
- Although he was tired, he continued working.
- She stayed home because she was ill.
Formula
Independent clause + dependent clause
or
Dependent clause + independent clause
4. Compound-Complex Sentence
A compound-complex sentence contains:
- at least two independent clauses, and
- at least one dependent clause.
Example
I wanted to go to the market, but I stayed at home because it was raining.
Independent clause 1:
I wanted to go to the market.
Independent clause 2:
I stayed at home.
Dependent clause:
because it was raining.
Therefore, it is compound-complex.
Another example
When the teacher arrived, the students became quiet, and the lesson began.
Dependent clause:
When the teacher arrived
Independent clause 1:
the students became quiet
Independent clause 2:
the lesson began
Therefore, it is a compound-complex sentence.
Formula
Independent + Independent + Dependent
Simple, Compound and Complex: Easy Difference
Consider these three sentences:
Simple
I went home.
One independent clause.
Compound
I went home, and I ate dinner.
Two independent clauses.
Complex
I went home because I was tired.
One independent clause + one dependent clause.
Compound-Complex
I went home because I was tired, and I ate dinner.
Two independent clauses + one dependent clause.
III. Another Important Classification: Affirmative and Negative
Sentences can also be classified according to polarity.
Affirmative Sentence
It expresses something positively.
She likes music.
Negative Sentence
It expresses something negatively.
She does not like music.
This classification can occur within different sentence types.
For example:
Affirmative interrogative:
Do you like music?
Negative interrogative:
Don't you like music?
Purpose vs Structure
Do not confuse these two classifications.
According to Purpose
Assertive → Interrogative → Imperative → Exclamatory
This tells us what the sentence does.
According to Structure
Simple → Compound → Complex → Compound-Complex
This tells us how the sentence is constructed.
For example:
Please close the door because it is cold.
According to purpose → Imperative
According to structure → Complex
So, one sentence can belong to both classifications simultaneously.

0 Comments